(by Michele Mahoney inspired by Russell Mahoney)
- 1/2 lb. red snapper filet (or similar fresh-as-can-be fish), cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tsp. grapefruit zest
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1/2 c. freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1/3 c. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/4 c. red onion, diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 Thai chili peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp. EVOO
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp organic cane sugar (optional)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped
- 1/2 avocado, diced
-Combine fish, grapefruit and lime zests and juices in a resealable bag. Place bag on a plate and refrigerate. Check fish every 10-15 minutes for your desired doneness (I marinated this fresh fish for about an hour). When fish reaches your desired doneness, drain marinade from fish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine tomato, onion, garlic, peppers, EVOO, cumin, salt, sugar, and cilantro. Add fish and stir. Refrigerate mixture for at least 30 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to serving bowl and add avocado.
Serving suggestion: Serve with fresh lime wedges and chips made from beets, sweet potatoes, and red potatoes.
Enjoy this deliciousness.