Michele’s Ginger Beer
A Restorative, Spicy & Subtly Sweet Nectar from a Goddess
- 6 c. filtered water
- 1 c ginger root, minced
- 1/3 cup honey or 1/2 coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- Stevia to taste
- In a large pot, boil water. Add the ginger and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, add sweetener and cream of tartar. Allow ginger decoction to cool.
- Transfer cooled ginger decoction to 64 oz. mason jar. Add lime zest and juice. Loosely cover jar. Allow mixture to sit at room temperature for 3 days.
- After 3 days, strain mixture. Taste and add stevia to sweeten, if desired. Refrigerate.
Serving suggestion: Serve with slices of lime over ice.
Tip: To prepare ginger, peel ginger root and chop in food processor. Cream of tartar is added to stabilize the acid level and can be omitted if desired.
Recipe by Michele Mahoney